Lighthouse of Alexandria or the Lighthouse of Alexandria (Greek: Φάρος της Αλεξάνδρειας) of the seven wonders of the world and was called Pharos “Pharos”
In 332 BC. M. Alexander the Great conquered Egypt and established the city of Alexandria where a small village on the shore of the sea and called his name and called the city of Alexandria Qlson in Hebrew and there were Egyptian sacred island of Faro saw her name one of the engineers that the construction of the Egyptian lighthouse on the landscape will affect the Egyptian sacred Faroe Island Faroe Island was an important center for the establishment of Pharaoh of Egypt, he left it was, (they were on this project and distorts Faroa later and became a lighthouse on the name)
Site lighthouse was on the tip of the island of Pharos near the present location of the Bey Citadel in the city of Alexandria in Egypt
The ancient island of Pharos was extended parallel to the coast from the port at the eastern end of the royal quarter and ending with the western side of the port and the island was completely separate from the city and fortified walls and towers in the services and the buildings and residents, and at the end of the island from the east rock length nearly 2500 m. It is the rock on which it was built the famous lighthouse or beacon, and the water surrounding the rock from all sides also said that, “Strabo” old and there was a bridge between the
Engineer and chose a place next to the lighthouse at the Faroe Islands due to its proximity to the place only dedicated to allow strangers to enter Egypt through the sea after the payment of fees and the large commercial vessels carrying crops Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea countries and its main port, has been found that the Ptolemies as well as this place is the most important area on the Mediterranean Sea, and the establishment of the Greek center of the Egyptian people because they saw Alexander the Great in status of the Pharaohs
When he started work in the lighthouse to the people of Alexandria was assigned various tasks within the city and does not become the unemployed .. and after the completion of the work that has two ports east and west of the greatest seaports in the ancient world.
During the construction of the lighthouse, they used the sands of Lake Mariot, and was strengthening the foundations for the whole region, including 1400 yards has been linked to the port the city of Alexandria itself.
And increased deal to increase the transfer of goods from one place to another, increasing Fame, Egypt, and the city became famous for its trade since the time of its foundation – (adequate in the history of Egypt .
Lighthouse has established in 280 BC. M, in the era of “Ptolemy II”, was built by architect Greco “Sostratos,” The length of one hundred and twenty meters, and some believe that the stones used in the construction Bey Citadel is one of the stones of the destroyed lighthouse, and the site of the fortress location is the same lighthouse collapsed, has described as “Masoudi”, in 944 AD, lighthouse and honest description and estimated height of about 230 arm. The earthquake occurred in 1303 during the reign of Sultan “al-Nasir Muhammad,” struck the eastern Mediterranean, and destroyed the forts of Alexandria and the walls and lighthouse.
Scholars and travelers
”He had his Maqrizi” in his plans, what happened to the city from destruction, and said that Prince “Corner Pepper Aljchenker religion” has Lighthouse age, ie base, in the year 703 AH. After the devastating earthquake in half a century, visited “Ibn Battuta” Alexandria, in his second trip, in 1350, he wrote: “And I went to the lighthouse, on my return to the country of Morocco, and found it had been seized by the ruin, so that can not be entered or to climb; was “King Al-Nasser,” started to build a lighthouse about them, Fagah die than do. “
He tells of the Egyptian “son of menopause,” that when he visited the Sultan “insolence P Bey,” Alexandria, in 1477, is the place to build a new lighthouse tower, which was later known as Tower Bey, Bey, and then bishop, which still exist, even today.
The lighthouse consists of four sections, the first is a square shape, which opens many windows, with about 300 rooms, equipped with a residence for the technicians to run Al-Manar and their families. The second floor was an octagonal, and the third circled, and finally came top of the Pharos, and stabilize the lantern, lighting source in the lighthouse, topped by a statue of Isis Isis Faria Lord lighthouse.
He said of Sheikh Abd al-Latif al-Baghdadi in his manuscript, that some scholars measured lighthouse came along, which consists of three layers, the first floor 221 square mile arm, and the second layer octagonal and length of 81.5 arm and class III round and length of 31.5 arm and part of a 10-Shining arms: it was the beacon within the walls of the city of Alexandria, a stone building equipped with a huge huge towers. This, too, according to the Kasitus of
Interestingly, the name of the island of Pharos “Pharos” became the term note of a lighthouse, or Lighthouse, in European languages, and I missed out that the word Farologi “Pharology” to denote the knowledge Beacons
No one knows, certainly, how they operate the lighthouse, or beacon, and some of the jurisprudence, did not settle the experts and scholars on the history of any of them. There is a description of the huge mirror, a family of rays, at the top of the Pharos, it offers a vision of incoming ships, before the naked eye to be able to be monitored.
He has written the old Arab traveler, “Ibn Jubayr,” that he saw the light of the lighthouse from a distance of 70 miles in the sea. There is a version that the mirror of the Pharos, was one of the achievements in high-tech era, went down in 700 AD, and no non-replacement of lost lighthouse called functional since that time, before the earthquake destroy completely
It is said that onto a lighthouse, and get off of it, it is through a downward spiral The fuel was raised to the place of the lantern, the last level, by the hydraulic system. He described the cover as soon as another way to raise the fuel (wood) to the location of the lantern, he recalled that a long line of donkeys was on the move, do not stop for the day or night, up and down, through the spiral ramp, carrying firewood on their backs!.
island of Pharos in the city. Is the first lighthouse in the world established by Sostrat in the era of “Ptolemy II” in 270 BC. M and rises 120 meters and destroyed in an earthquake in 1323.
Egyptian Engineer and decided that the establishment within the island lighthouse Pharaonic Holy Farrow, and be near them and near and near the new city of Alexandria.